Friday, April 2, 2010

A call to Mommy Bloggers


Shortly after Shane (our oldest) was born, Michelle (Shane's mom) stopped working "in the world" and took on the much more important job of creating our contribution to the next generation. Nothing that either of us did before, during, or since has been as important.

The job of creating the next generation is an awesome responsibility which masquerades as the best thing that ever happens to you (and this come from firsthand knowledge).

We love them, we feed them, we patch them up when they get little wear holes or tear holes, and we teach them. Some lessons are taught through lecture others through trial and error. The most significant lessons, it seems, are often taught by example.

My father spent his whole life (the 45 years that I can remember anyway) serving others. He had the brains and college education to go out and chase the big bucks but he chose not to. When he retired did he spent his new found time traveling the world, fishing, or pursuing his dream? Nope -he put his effort into feeding the hungry (and has been called "The Food Angel" in his local community for 15 or 20 years now).

My dad didn't tell me to work at getting 1,000 pounds of meat donated, in fact I don't even know if he is aware I'm doing this. I'm sure if he knows he didn't get it from the Internet because he's about as far from that technology as a body can get. I'm also pretty sure I didn't tell him so perhaps he doesn't know. If I ask myself why I'm doing this a number of answers might pop into my head.

Maybe I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do. Perhaps I'm doing it because if I were one of the folks who needed help I would want someone else to be doing it. Maybe - just maybe I'm doing it because growing up I learned to do it while I was being taught by example.

That brings me to Ashlyn.


I don't know if Nick and Susan were thinking object lesson when they included her as they purchased and donated 75 pounds of meat last week, but I expect they planted a seed. The day will come when Aslyn is no longer small enough that the shopping cart is high enough to make adding items a challenge and when that day comes...those seeds will be growing.

So while this article offers hats off to Nick and Susan, it is also a call to all those mommy bloggers out there. It's the spring of your children's lives and it is time to be planting some seeds

Find a place to leave your donations (see my article on this called "Where do I donate") and then take your little ones to the store to help you pick out the meat, and have them help you carry it in to the donation site.
.


While you are making your donations be sure to take some pictures and send me an email @ 1000poundsOfMeat@gmail.com (with the pictures) telling me how much meat, what kind (beef, chicken, etc), and where you live. I'll publish a post about your adventure and then you can read the story of how they helped to your little ones.
.


Besides teaching your children by example, you'll be doing your community a favor, you'll be having fun with your kids, and you'll build lasting memories.
.


...and don't forget to pass it on! We want all your friends to join in ...

No comments:

Post a Comment