Friday, February 5, 2010

It's More Than Just Me!

I expect I could achieve the 1,000 pound goal all by myself given enough time. If that were my approach I wouldn't need your help but I do need your help because I want to get past 1,000 (WAY past 1,000) and there is no way I'll get as far by my self as we will get together.

Here's how you help (it's quite simple actually).
  1. Get some meat.
  2. Donate it to a food bank.
  3. Tell me about it.

There it is. That's my crazy plan to help feed the folks who are struggling. I know it is quite daunting and complex but with a bit of study and concentration I think you will come to understand the approach. Here's my suggestions to help you:

1. Get some meat - There are a number of ways to do this. You can go to the local grocery, you could buy an FFA project and have it butchered, you could even raise a cow and donate the meat. Try some of these ideas:

- Shop the sales: Every Tuesday we get flyers from all the grocery stores describing next week's bargins. Look for the really high value meat postings. Last week I found sprial sliced ham for $.79 cents a pound (regularly $3.59). When you see a really good deal the pounce!

- Watch the stratch and dent section: You know the place. Every grocery store has a place where they put meat after they mark the price down. I call it the scratch and dent meat section. I never go into the store without looking the scratch and dent meat over and to tell you the truth, this is where most of our family meals come from. If it's good enough for my family, it's good enough to donate.

2) Donate it to a food bank - When I started all this (right after I purchased the FFA hog) I looked online and found the North Texas Food bank. It was far away and I was not pleased thinking I would have to haul the processed meat nearly 40 miles to donate it. I called them and learned there are donation points all over the metropolotin area. I expect there is a church or non-profit organizaton close to you where you can easily make your donation. Find a food bank (anywhere in the city), call them up and ask them where you should go. The local grocery stores might have some ideas for you too.

3) Tell me about it. - You tell me what you donated and I will tell the world. Send me a story, some pictures, whatever you think you are comfortable sharing and I'll publish it right here. Along with your story or picture send me the retail price of what you got (for example the ham cost me around $80 but it was marked down from 3.59 a pound so I posted $369). If you don't want to write a story or take a picture, no problem! Just tell me what kind of meat, how many pounds and the retail value. That's all I need to move toward my 1,000 pound goal!

Send your meat donation information to 1000PoundsOfMeat@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment